Early Warning System to mitigate human-elephant conflict
- SNAP has designed an automated sensor based elephant tracking device, which can track elephants from 300 meter distance from the device and trigger an alarm in concern beat office or forest villagers using op-amp which are 3-5 km away from the device
- Device operated by solar panel and battery
- This device sense the presence of elephant before it enter into forest villages for crop raiding and alert forest villagers and forest departmental staffs.
- Track Elephants effectively in night
- This device specially designed for Human-Elephant Conflict Mitigation
Completed Project Locations
We already have installed 40 devices in Gorumara National Park, and 8 devices in Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. The devices have been active from last 10 months. They are being monitored for effectiveness, and early results indicate very high detection rates.
Ongoing Project Locations
- Installation of 26 devices in Jaldapara National Park is ongoing, funded by IUCN under the MIKE programme.
- Installation of 20 devices in Dalgaon Range, under Jalpaiguri Division is ongoing and funded by Asian Elephant Support (USA)
Upcoming Project Location
- Installation of 50 devices in Jhargram Division. West Bengal
Wildlife Population Estimation
SNAP Team participated various wildlife population estimation of Elephants, Rhinos, Gaurs etc. In various part of North Bengal.
Elephant Quick Response Team
- SNAP has formed 15+ Elephant Quick Response Team to mitigate Human-Elephant Conflict in various Parts of North Bengal
- SNAP provide HEC training to QRT members those are chosen from the forest villages.
- SNAP distributed headlamps, searchlights and HEC kit to all QRT members
Elephant and Rhino Monitoring Units
- SNAP supports Elephant and Rhino Patrolling Squad of Gorumara Wildlife Division with training.
- SNAP also distributed 4 Night Vision Devices, 20 Head lamps and 20 High End Fog Search Lights to them
- SNAP conduct various community development activities in North Bengal.
- SNAP women team supports SHG for alternative farming to mitigate human wildlife conflict.
- SNAP supports to forest village kids by providing them educational kit and raincoats in North Bengal.
Nature & Wildlife Awareness
- SNAP conducts various wildlife & nature awareness workshops and seminars for students and individual.
- SNAP organized various medical check up camps for forest villagers community in North Bengal.
- SNAP organized various nature orientation camps for students.
- SNAP organized Ride for Wild a bike rally from Mechi to Sankosh to create awareness about illegal wildlife trade practices.